All About TENS Units
If you are new to the idea of TENS units we will help you to understand all of the ins and outs of this industry. We will talk about different ways you can use these devices and help you to find the best unit for you.
TENS is a type of electrical therapy that uses electrical current applied to different parts of the body for pain relief. TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. It is a type of therapy using low-voltage electrical current. The objective of TENS units is to give people relief from different types of pain throughout the body, both acute and chronic.
A TENS machine is a battery-operated unit that is connected to electrodes. These are placed on the skin and then the unit is turned on. At this point you may adjust the electrical current by setting the intensity, speed, and pulse width.
Some TENS units are more customizable than others when it comes to these different settings.
Aside from this, most TENS devices also have modes or programs. These will sometimes create different sensations on the skin, such as tapping or rubbing.
These electrical signals are designed to scramble or block normal pain signals and produce endorphins which are natural painkillers.
Although some TENS devices can only be bought with a prescription, there are also a lot of over the counter (OTC) TENS machines which anyone can purchase. These devices help people to eliminate pain without the use of excessive painkillers.
If you use a TENS machine correctly then it is safe to use. Consult your doctor if you have any serious questions.
- What is a TENS Machine? - TENS is a machine that sends low voltage electric currents to different body parts to relieve nerve pain.
- How to Use a TENS Unit - This beginner's guide discusses the areas that a tens unit can be used on. It will teach you step-by-step how to use a tends machine, from applying the electrodes to cleaning them and operating the device. It should answer a lot of questions.
- How does TENS Therapy Work? - Learn all about how a tens machine operates in this article. It will discuss machine parameters, mechanisms of action, and volts. The article also explains information about digital tens machines and some general facts. You will come to understand exactly how a tens machine works.
- Side Effects of TENS Therapy - Facts such as the purpose of a tens unit, how the machine works, and how to use the device at home are all covered in this article. It also explains the common side effects of using a tens unit, in addition to some cautions when using the machine.
- Using a TENS Unit While Pregnant - If you are pregnant this article will help you in all you need to know about whether or not you should use a tens unit. It explains when it is not safe to use a tens unit as well as a pros and cons list for using the device while pregnant.
- Make TENS Unit Pads Sticky Again - Sometimes electrodes lose their stickiness and this makes them virtually useless. This article gives a few useful tips about how to fix tens pads which won't stick. It also explains how to clean pads and gives some information about electrode gels.
- TENS Unit For Labor Pain - We have another article about using a tens machine during pregnancy. This article is specifically about using a device while in labor. It will teach you about how to use a tens unit during labor as well as some of the drawbacks and benefits involved.
- TENS Machine for Sciatica Nerve Pain - If you have sciatica, this article discuss all about how a tens device can help sciatica and sciatica nerve pain. It will also explain tens unit placement for sciatica, and there is a short video with several exercises which may help those with the condition.
- Tens Unit For Back Pain - This article will explore back pain and whether the tens unit is good or bad for those dealing with this type of pain. It will answer a number of important questions regarding the use of a tens machine to treat back pain. The article also explains the gate theory and the endorphin theory.
- Is A Tens Unit Good for Fibromyalgia? - If you are suffering from fibromyalgia this article will inform you about using a tens unit to combat pain from this condition. It will give details from research, explain how to use a tens unit for fibromyaliga, and recommend specific units to use.
- What are the Benefits of Using a Tens Unit? - Details about the benefits of tens units will be explored in depth in this article. It will explain how a tens unit is used to relieve pain and discuss the main benefits of the device in a numbered list. Finally, the article will answer the question 'what is the best home tens unit?'
- What is the Difference between TENS and EMS? - TENS and EMS are terms which commonly get confused, but this article will clearly explain the differences between the two. It will explore how both types of units work and discuss some medical experiments. The article also includes a comparison chart and gives a list of the best EMS and TENS combo devices.
- Electrical Stimulation for Knee Pain - This article will explore data and studies pertaining to tens units and electrical stimulation for knee pain. It includes studies about NMES as well as information about other kinds of electrical stimulation. The article explains proper TENS unit placement for knee pain as well as other useful facts.
- Tens Unit For Neck Pain - In this article we will discuss the different treatments used to treat neck pain as well as studies which have been done looking at tens machines for neck pain. A video is included giving information about electrode placement for this particular pain and problem.
- EMS Machine for Weight Loss - Can I lose weight with EMS? Is EMS a scientifically proven method to lose weight? Let's explore how an EMS machine can help you in losing your extra pounds?
Side By Side TENS Units Comparison
Pick the TENS Units you want to evaluate and compare specs, ratings, prices